Why Choose MSWP?
MSWP as Your Montessori School
New parents who tour our school often ask: Why Montessori? And why MSWP?
Maria Montessori recognized that children are the teachers of humanity—that young people, with their ideals and lack of attachment to tradition, can lead the way to a more human existence. This is their journey.
In addition to our commitment to creating our own special community/neighborhood, at MSWP we focus on freedom of choice with limits. Our approach values personal connection and collaboration in our classrooms using Montessori materials and following Montessori philosophy. We respect the individuality of each child and protect their “spirit” as they navigate their way.
Freedom of Choice comes through:
- Integration of subjects
- Experimental learning
- Guided discovery
- Teachers as observer
- Uninterrupted workcycle (importance of follow-through & focus)
- Differentiated follow-up work
Personal Connections through:
- Parent involvement
- Respect, grace & courtesy.
- Risk-taking (learning through mistakes) in a safe environment
- Freedom of movement
- Authentic assessment through observation and mastery
Collaborative learning through:
- Peer-to-peer mentoring and problem solving (our multi-age grouping facilitates this)
- Peer teaching (our youngest learn from our oldest..and vice versa)
- Open (multi-age) learning environment
- Connected curriculum—creating critical and global thinking. (subjects are inter-related to create meaning and relevance)
Quite simply, MSWP Montessori fits the definition of 21st century education, connecting children to each other, their environment and their education through movement, critical thinking and choice.