Founded in 1975 by committed parents, the Montessori School of Washington Park (MSWP) combines dedicated, experienced teachers and faculty, exceptional facilities, challenging programs and committed parents to help children develop confidence and competence as they discover their world.
Each of our three beautiful Primary classrooms support 20 students and two adults. We have a “Specials” room for art, music and Spanish, which we offer as part of our program. In addition, we offer After-School Enrichment classes that vary per semester—activities such as yoga, ballet, violin, Spanish and hip hop have been offered in the past, just to name a few. We have a large activity room for After-School and Summer Camp and a beautiful outdoor environment with plenty of room to run!
MSWP is a true community, non-profit school. We encourage and expect parent participation through our Parent Workbond Program. This requires that parents volunteer or donate 15 hours of time to the school per semester—and these are typically very simple contributions that add up over time. We have found that, in addition to deepening the sense of community (and keeping tuition rates lower), this experience gives parents an opportunity to become friends and form relationships that last a lifetime.
Our curriculum emphasizes sensory experiences and activities that encourage children to actively participate in and influence their surroundings. All of the adults in the school strive for our students to know the following to be true:
- He/she is trusted by the adults in his life;
- He/she is recognized by the adult as capable of keeping himself and others safe through his own self-discipline;
- The adult has confidence and faith in him/her;
- He/she can trust that when the adult says no, there must be a very strong reason because the adult has shown respect.
- The adult will always do the very best to respect his/her desire to learn.
View Our Classroom
View Larger Map